martes, 13 de octubre de 2015

Cruel Beauty


Author: Rosamund Hodge
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Fantasy.
Editorial: Balzer + Bray.
Year: 2014
Ranking: 3,8/ 5
  

Synopsis


Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle—a shifting maze of magical rooms—enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.

The Author


Rosamund Hodge grew up in Los Angeles, where she spent her time reading everything she could get her hands on but especially fantasy and mythology. She received a BA in English from the University of Dallas and an MST in medieval English from Oxford. She now lives in Seattle, Washington.

Personal Experience with This Book


I had many problems to review this book. I still don’t have a very clear opinion on it, actually. That is why I decided to split this review into things I did not like and things that I liked.

What I liked:

  1. The use of Greek mythology in combination with the story of Beauty and the Beast: The Greek mythology has been used as a reference in many books, and I always like to read such books, but I had never seen a combination like this. I loved to see how the story of this world is intertwined with that of the myths of ancient Greece.
  2. The development of the romance between Ignifex and Nyx: Although it is a love that present itself in a very fast way. These two complement each other and get along so well that you know they are meant to be together. I think this was what I like the most in the book. All interactions between them and when the relationship is much more developed are divine. I have to clarify that I didn’t like the way Nyx falls in love with Ignifex, but I loved the development in their relationship.
  3. The way the story concludes: I think the end of this story was very nice and realistic. It was not an epic end, instead it was a pretty calm end and it does not give you that craving to finish the story because you want to know what will happen, but I think the way in which the author finished the story was real and also left a feeling of peace.


What I did not like:

  1. The attitude of Nyx: This was my biggest problem when reading. I really did not understand this girl. Sometimes she behaved strong and determined, it gives you the impression that she is one of those heroines who, although full of hatred with his dad for making her do what she is doing, is willing to risk everything to save her family and her people. However, on the other hand, she acted like a girl who had no idea where I stood. And the way in which she gets into the two male protagonists was more than diculous.
  2. Insta-love: This book has a severe case of Insta-love. Nyx practically falls in love with Shade from the first time she sees him and she was kissing that same night. Although the love that arises between Nyx and Ignifex is very tender it also occurs in a very fast way. And if we see it from the point of view of Nyx and how she thinks this man is the love of her life and feels confused because she thought it was Shade….so you can see how this bothered me.

Overall I give it a 3.8/5 to the story because I found it interesting to read and it entertained me while I read. Besides as I said I liked how cute interaction between Ignifex and Nyx was, but I had many problems with the way in which that beautiful relationship began and with the attitude of the main character. That's why I cannot give the book a higher note.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Si ya leiste el libro y quieres compartir tu opinion acerca de el sientete libre de comentar. Si por el contrario aun no lo has leido pero te ha motivado a leerlo mi reseña tambien me gustaria que me lo hicieras saber :D

 
Blogger Templates